15 June 2010

Update on “Crocs in Picture Books?”

Nigh on three years ago, I posed the burning question of whether those big ugly plastic Crocs shoes had started to appear in American picture books. After all, they were appearing everywhere on American children’s feet.

I don’t follow picture books as closely as professionals, and perhaps the Center for the Study of Children’s Literature or the Arne Nixon Center or the Cooperative Children’s Book Center has already issued a report on this important topic.

For myself, I can only state that this past weekend I spotted a children’s book whose cover displayed a boy in black Crocs. Granted, it was an activity book, and the cover was a posed photograph rather than an illustration reflecting an artist’s considered tastes. But the arrival of such a picture book seems inevitable.

No comments: