15 January 2007

One Letter Makes All the Difference

I couldn't fall asleep last night, so I gave my mind over to Lisa Yee's Bodacious Book Title Contest: change the first letter of one word of a well-known children's book to create a title with a significantly new meaning.

When I woke up this morning, I saw that the contest had ended just about the same time I was trying to sleep. But why should that stand in the way of a blogger desperate for material? My candidates:

Ellen Raskin, The Vesting Game.
A mysterious corporate tycoon summons two dozen seemingly unrelated people and offers them a challenge: remain employed long enough to maximize the value of your 401(k).

William Pène du Bois, The Twenty-One Walloons.
A retired professor returns from a round-the-world journey with outlandish tales of a small utopian community hidden somewhere in Belgium.

Laura Joffe Numeroff, If You Give a Mouse a Wookie.
Once you start making Star Wars movies entirely on computers, no matter how annoying they get you'll never be able to stop.

No comments: